Don’t become a burglary victim during the summer monthsAugust 10, 2016
Finally summer has arrived! With the weather forecasting predicting a heat wave some time during the next few weeks, homeowners are being warned about the potential risk of open windows and unlocked doors.
According to Lloyds Bank Insurance, there was a 14% increase in unforced burglary during the summer months of 2015 compared to the winter months. Lloyds also reported that the average claim of unforced entry was just over £1100
Items left within easy reach of open windows and doors are high risk from opportunist thieves. Smartphone, tablets, watches and car keys are amongst some of the most likely items to be taken during an unforced entry as they are easy to grab, small to conceal and simple to move on.
With thefts often carried out while someone is home, we advise all households to follow these easy precautions.
- When not in a room, lock a window shut, even if in the vent position
- Not leave valuables in sight or reach of a window
- Small home safes can be used to store valuable items
- Lock front doors, when in the garden
- Extra visible window locks can be fitted to provide extra window security
- Burglary alarms and CCTV systems are known to reduce the chance of being targeted
For any security concerns or to ask about any security products, please get in contact with the team at locktrader.co.uk